Are you looking for the best screenwriting software to help you perfect your craft? If so, you’ve come to the right place.
This blog post will look at the best 13 screenwriting software programs and provide an overview. We will also discuss the features and benefits of each program, as well as pricing information. Finally, we will give you a conclusion for each program so that you can decide which one is right for you.
So without further ado, let’s rock and roll!
- What Is The Best Screenwriting Software?
- What Is a Screenwriting Software?
- Why Do You Need Screenwriting Software?
- Here are the 6 main benefits of using screenwriting software:
- 1) Final Draft
- What are the best features of Final Draft?
- 2) Fade In
- 3) Highland 2
- 4) Scrivener
- 5) Movie Magic Screenwriter
- 6) Celtx
- 7) Writer Duet
- 8) Squibler
- 9) Studio Binder
- 10) Arc Studio
- 11) Trelby
- Last Thoughts
What Is The Best Screenwriting Software?
Here are my top 13 selection of popular screenwriting software:
- Final Draft
- Fade In
- Highland 2
- Movie Magic Screenwriter
- Writer Duet
- Studio Binder
- Arc Studio
What Is a Screenwriting Software?
Screenwriting software is a program used to write movie or television scripts. It’s a specialized word processor that makes it easier to format your script correctly and track the various elements of your story. Most screenwriting software also includes tools for outlining, scheduling, and collaborating with other writers.
Why Do You Need Screenwriting Software?
If you want to write a screenplay, you need screenwriting software. With this program, you can easily format your scripts correctly and track various elements of your story. In other words, it makes writing a screenplay simpler and more efficient.
Here are the 6 main benefits of using screenwriting software:
- You may track various elements of your story, making it easier to keep everything organized.
- You can outline your story more effortlessly, helping you plan and structure your screenplay.
- It helps you schedule your writing deadlines and keep you on track
- Screenwriting software can help you collaborate with other writers more easily
- It also helps you avoid common formatting mistakes
- Using this program makes the process of writing a screenplay quicker and more efficient.
1) Final Draft
Final Draft is my first pick because of the range of features, its user-friendly interface, and its popularity and success.
This software was one of the first ones to appear on the market. It offers a wide range of features that make writing a screenplay easier than ever, including tools for formatting your script correctly, tracking the various elements of your story, outlining your story, scheduling your writing deadlines, and collaborating with other writers.
Its user-friendly interface makes it easy to learn how to use, and it has been successful and popular with professional writers and Hollywood Studios. All of these factors make Final Draft the best screenwriting software on the market.
What are the best features of Final Draft?
When you’re looking for a screenwriting tool to help write your next big motion picture, it’s important that the software can handle all of those different formats. Final Draft claims it is used by 95% of TV shows and Hollywood movie productions. For this reason, you can’t go wrong with this program; it’s ideal for beginners and more advanced users.
The best features of Final Draft include its story development tools, scene navigator, and index cards. These tools make it easy to develop your story and keep track of your characters and scenes. The software also includes a character profile tool, allowing you to track your characters’ traits.
- Story Development Tools
- Scene Navigator
- Index Cards
- Character Profile
- Dialogue Assistant
- Customizable Formatting
- Spell Checker and Grammar Checker
- Template Library
- Theme Explorer
- Publishing Options
What do I Like/Dislike about Final Draft?
- The software is easy to use and navigate. Ideal for beginners, it helps them become familiar with the classic formatting for screenplays and scripts
- It includes a variety of templates that you can use to get started on your next project
- There is a discounted price for students and educators
- The user interface looks modern and sleek
- The software can be expensive
- It can be difficult to use and navigate
- There is a limited selection of templates
Final Draft Pricing Information?
The full version costs at the moment $169.99 for desktops. Their program works for Windows 10 or higher and Mac. You get a 32% discount, but it may end anytime. For this reason, I recommend getting the Final Draft today.
Case you are a student, you can obtain this software for only $89.99. You may purchase the software through the Final Draft website or one of its authorized resellers.
2) Fade In
Fade In screenwriting software is intended for motion picture scripts and is ideal for writers associated with the film industry, television, or gaming. It comes loaded up with features that make it suitable no matter what kind of genre you’re writing in, whether it’s romance films like “The Notebook” (2004) – which used this program’s capabilities-or science fiction movies such as “The Matrix” (1999). Fade In is also good for those looking to get into the business of scriptwriting as a whole.
What are the best features of Final In?
One of the best features of Fade In is its powerful scene editor. This tool allows you to easily change your scenes and see how they will affect the rest of your story. It also includes a character profile tool, which allows you to keep track of your characters’ traits and development over time.
- Powerful scene editor
- Character profile tool
- Scene navigator
- Index cards
- Publishing options
What do I Like/Dislike about Final In?
- Cheaper compared to Final Draft
- Free software updates
- It comes with a load of templates. You can also upload new ones from their website
- The scene navigator doesn’t disturb your workflow. However, it doesn’t come with as many options as Final Draft
- The user interface looks old fashion
Final In Pricing Information?
The full version of Fade In costs $79.95 at the moment. You also have a student option at only $49.95.
Fade In is inexpensive, considering all the features you get. I recommend their website and getting their software.
3) Highland 2
I’m a big fan of the Highland 2 screenwriting software. It’s an excellent app for writing screenplays using Fountain, which is a great format for screenplays. The app was designed by John August, who is a well-known screenwriter, and it’s really thoughtfully designed. It’s easy to use and makes writing screenplays a breeze. I highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for great screenwriting software.
What are the best features of Highland 2?
Simplicity. If you are looking for software focused mainly on writing, Highland 2 is your solution. It doesn’t come with as many features as other screenwriting programs, such as a storyboard section, shot list, and beat board. For some people, that may be a downside. This screenwriting software has a more minimalist approach and may be preferred depending on your needs.
- Highland 2 is designed by John August, a well-known screenwriter.
- It’s easy to use and makes writing screenplays a breeze.
- Fountain is a great format for screenplays.
- The app is designed thoughtfully and is easy to navigate.
- You can export your work in different
What do I Like/Dislike about Highland 2?
- Gender Analysis feature. Let’s see how many female and male characters and lines each one has in your script.
- You can easily export your file to several different formats, such as .fountain, markdown, and .fdx (Final Draft)
- You can change the colors and themes of your editor to suit your visual needs
- Highland 2 isn’t only for screenwriting! It can be used for novel writing, graphic, article, manuscript, etc.
- Your title page doesn’t automatically open. Instead, you need to head to “Format/ Title Page.” Just a minor issue.
Highland 2 Pricing Information?
You can start with the free version if you aren’t certain about Highland 2 Pro. The downside is it comes with fewer features. Otherwise, you can get the Highland 2 Pro upgrade with all the extra features at only $49.99.
If you’re looking for powerful screenwriting software that can help you organize your thoughts and notes, Scrivener is a great option. It offers various features specifically designed for writers, including distraction-free writing, an easy-to-use editor, and an in-depth organizer to help you with large projects like novels. Besides, it’s affordable across multiple platforms.
I love the fact that Scrivener was specifically designed for writers. Contrary to most other screenwriting programs.
What are the best features of Scrivener?
I like their mobile IOS app. It’s a perfect way to write while you’re outside your home. Or, sometimes, when an idea pops up, you can quickly access your app and write down whatever is in your mind.
Furthermore, their drag-and-drop organization feature. Allowing you to easily move around sections to help you organize your content in whatever way you prefer.
- Easily organize sections with their drag and drop system
- Pre-loaded templates which help you save time
- Affordable and available for multiple platforms
- Features specifically designed for writers
- Several options to export your files, providing you with flexibility
What do I Like/Dislike about Scrivener?
- The mobile app is an awesome feature
- Custom templates. You can create templates based on whatever you want
- Distraction-free writing. A great solution to keep you focused when writing on your computer
- Snapshot option that lets you restore older versions of your writing
- Unfortunately, it doesn’t have a collaboration option
Scrivener Pricing Information?
Scrivener is a great and affordable option for writers and students too. The software is available for Mac, PC, iPhone, and iPad. You get a 30-day free trial letting you test their program. Once your trial ends, it asks you to purchase their license for only $49.
You can obtain their software cheaper if you are a student or teacher.
If you’d like to get Scrivener IOS available in their Apple store, it costs $19.99
5) Movie Magic Screenwriter
Movie Magic Screenwriter is a great option if you’re looking for powerful screenwriting software designed for movie scripts. It comes loaded with features that make it easy to write, format and outline your scripts, and it even has publishing options so you can get your work out there. Furthermore, you get it at a reasonable price and on multiple platforms.
What are the best features of Movie Magic Screenwriter?
I love that this software comes with over 100 templates and tools to help you brainstorm, write novels, etc. Perhaps, one of the most complete screenwriting software programs on the market.
I also like the text-to-speech engines that let you “hear” your character’s voice through the computer speakers.
Movie Magic Screenwriter Key Features
- Designed specifically for movie scripts
- Loaded with features that make it easy to write, format, and outline your scripts
- Publishing options so you can get your work out there
- Reasonable price and available on multiple platforms
What do I Like/Dislike about Movie Magic Screenwriter?
- This software has spell-check dictionary and thesaurus for a vast number of languages
- You can easily export or e-mail your script into several formats to allow other people to read it.
- You don’t need to stress about losing your file because of their auto-backup option
- One of the main problems with Magic Screenwriter software is its lack of updates for Windows. For this reason, it has some annoying bugs that haven’t been resolved for ages. You don’t have the same issue if you’re a Mac user.
Movie Magic Screenwriter Pricing Information?
You can get the full version of Movie Magic Screenwriter at $169.00 for Mac or Windows.
Celtx is a powerful and comprehensive screenplay writing software with over 6 million users from 190 countries. The focus of this program is on the development of video games and VR. Games need good writing and engaging dialogue, even if it’s not the central focus.
This software has many tools to make this happen, including collaborating with a partner or team in real-time. When you add people to your project, they can start making changes right away. You can then see each other’s changes as they happen.
What are the best features of Celtx?
I enjoy that Celtx only works cloud-based, which lets me connect to my script writing software through my mobile or tablet wherever I go. The only downside is if you don’t an internet connection,
- Comprehensive software with a wide variety of features
- Collaborate in real-time with partners or teams
- Simple and organized interface
- Plenty of tools for good writing and dialogue
- Millions of users from 190 countries
What do I Like/Dislike about Movie Magic Screenwriter?
- Easy to use interface that looks sleek
- Dedicated to video games and VR screenplay writing, it’s a unique feature.
- You only get two scripts with the free version
Celtx Pricing Information?
You can use the free version, but it lacks several important options. It is great for new writers who don’t need many options to start.
However, I recommend getting the paid version if you’re a more advanced screenwriter. You can start with the first plan at about $15 a month or choose “Video Production” or “Enterprise” if you want more features.
7) Writer Duet
Writer Duet is the paid version of WriterSolo. Of course, it has many extra features that help you easily collaborate with other writers. It is very easy to use and helps you format your work according to film or television industry standards.
What are the best features of Writer Duet?
I love the collaboration features. It allows you to work in real-time with other writers. For instance, one writer can write one scene while another one writes another scene simultaneously.
- Simultaneous collaboration with other writers
- Easy to use
- Helps format work according to film or television industry standards
- Collaborate on projects from anywhere in the world
- Get help with script formatting
What do I Like/Dislike about Writer Duet?
- I like the option to leave notes. Allowing anyone I’m collaborating with to read and alter it. This helps to coordinate the work with multiple members more easily.
- The option that everything is web-based. If you’re on the go and have a sudden idea, you can access your mobile or tablet and easily write there on the spot.
- Sophisticated and smart interface design. You can notice their team cares about providing a program that fills users’ demands.
- You may sometimes run into minor glitches
Writer Duet Pricing Information
Writer Duet offers a free and paid version of their software. The free version allows you to collaborate with other writers online. In contrast, the paid version gives you additional features, such as saving projects offline and exporting them to different formats.
Pricing for the paid version of Writer Duet starts at $9.99 a month. But if you pay a year upfront, you can get the software for only $5.99. You should look at each plan and choose the one more appropriate to your needs.
Squibler is screenwriting software designed to make the writing process easier for you. It has various features, including collaborating with other writers in real-time. This makes it easy for you to get help with script formatting and feedback on your work.
What are the best features of Squibler?
I love you can use this program to write books, technical writing, novels, freelance writing, etc.
- Easy to collaborate with other writers in real-time
- Format your work according to film or television industry standards
- Get feedback on your work from other writers
- It comes with a variety of features to make the writing process easier
- Available on multiple platforms
What do I Like/Dislike about Squibler?
- New software that may someday become good. At the moment, I prefer to use another screenwriting options.
- I consider the price a bit costly. You can get Final Draft for about the same price in two years, and that’s a top-notch screenwriting software.
- It has some annoying bugs
Squibler Pricing Information
Squibler offers a free and paid version of their software. The free version allows you to collaborate with other writers online. In contrast, the paid version gives you additional features, such as saving projects offline and exporting them to different formats.
You can get Squibler Pro at $9.99 a month if you want all the extra features.
9) Studio Binder
Studio Binder is a web and mobile-based software for creative professionals in the filmmaking, photography, videography, and new media industries. With StudioBinder, you can create personalized call sheets, import scripts from Final Draft or PDFs, build storyboards, and create photo catalogs to plan your production process. StudioBinder is the ultimate tool for filmmakers of any level – beginners or industry vets.
What are the best features of Studio Binder?
Its ease of use and intuitive interface set Studio Binder apart from other screenwriting software. Even if you’re not tech-savvy, you’ll be able to figure out how to use Studio Binder with no problem.
StudioBinder is a web and mobile-based software for creative professionals in the filmmaking, photography, videography, and new media industries.
- With StudioBinder, you can create personalized call sheets, import scripts from Final Draft or PDFs, build storyboards, and create photo catalogs to plan your production process.
- StudioBinder is the ultimate tool for filmmakers of any level – beginners or industry vets.
- What sets Studio Binder apart from other screenwriting software is its ease of use and intuitive interface. Even if you’re not tech-savvy, you’ll be able to figure out how to use Studio Binder with no problem.
- Another plus is that Studio Binder is affordable – it’s subscription-based, and you can choose from a monthly or annual plan
- Lastly, Studio Binder offers great customer support – they have an extensive knowledge base and FAQ section on their website, and you can also contact them via email or live chat.
What do I Like/Dislike about Studio Binder?
- It has a nice and easy-to-use user interface
- You can include other files formats in this software
- You can easily store your versions of your script
- You have no Undo feature available for some awkward reason. Therefore, if you make a mistake, you must re-do your work.
Studio Binder starts at $29 monthly (individual plan), with a few features available. If you want more options, choose either the professional or studio plan. I recommend choosing the yearly plan to cut some expenses.
You might consider their other plans if you work or run a company that allows more users to use Studio Binder at once.
10) Arc Studio
Arc Studio is a professional screenwriting software released in 2019. Writers have started to opt for the fastidious system to make their writing more cohesive and communicative.
With its sleek design and aesthetic, the formatting system will lessen your technical hassles and make your writing almost effortless; from start to finish.
With a focus on TV show writers’ rooms, where collaboration is still very messy (and stressful), Arc Studio was created for an uncomplicated, no-nonsense approach to collaborative writing. Working in a writers’ room means a hundred drafts with red comments all over the page – Arc Studio helps make that process less daunting.
Plenty of other features make Arc Studio one of the best screenwriting software out there. For example, the real-time chat function allows you to communicate with your co-writer easily and quickly, without leaving the document. This is perfect for when you need to brainstorm or ask a quick question. You can also export your scripts to PDF, Word, or Final Draft format with just a few clicks.
What are the best features of Arc Studio?
I love their easy-to-use and sleek design interface. You can easily switch between scenes, characters, and dialogues. Making the process of writing a script a breeze.
- Arc Studio was designed with TV writers’ rooms in mind.
- It’s a fastidious formatting system that makes writing easier.
- The chat function is perfect for brainstorming and communicating with co-writers.
- You can export your scripts to different formats with just a few clicks.
- Arc Studio has a focus on simplicity and no-nonsense approaches to writing.
What do I Like/Dislike about Arc Studio?
- It has a simplistic look. You don’t have that old fashion appearance from other screenwriting software.
- For an affordable price, you get some awesome features for collaboration. Perhaps, one of the best collaboration options out there.
- I love their card mode. It helps your creativity flow. You have three cards such as beats, storyline, and characters. Furthermore, you can move your cards around, letting you easily look at your story arcs, etc.
- Well, the free version is a bit lackluster. You only get two scripts and also have a watermark whenever you export your .pdf.
Arc Studio Pricing
You have a free version and paid version of Arc Studio. One of the major problems with the free Arc Studio is that you only have two scripts and also lack important features, such as the desktop app and iPhone and IPad app.
If you want more features, including unlimited scripts, choose the “Essentials” or “Pro” plan. Read the features that come with each plan and pick the most appropriate one for you. The Essential plan is only $69 a year and the Pro $99 a month. Both plans are affordable, considering all you get.
Trelby is free screenwriting software that is available on multiple platforms. It is easy to use and has several features, such as pagination, spell checking, and auto-completion. It also has a name database that contains more than 200 character names. Depending on your preferred writing style, you can use Trelby in draft view, WYSIWYG mode, or fullscreen mode.
What are the best features of Trelby?
Well, this software is 100% free. Of course, it doesn’t come with the same features, and nice-looking user interface as its paid counterparts. However, if you are starting out and simply need a screenwriter software to start using, Trelby may be the right solution!
- It’s the best screenwriting software because it is free and available on multiple platforms.
- Includes a name database that contains more than 200 character names.
- You can use the in-draft view, WYSIWYG mode, or fullscreen mode.
- It enforces proper script format and pagination.
- Trelby spell checks and auto-completes your work for you.
Trelby is a free program that anyone can contribute to. Screenplay editor: Enforces proper script format, pagination, auto-completion, and spell checking.
You have a wide selection of different screenwriting software programs, and it can be hard to decide which one is best for you. The best way to decide is to consider what features are important to you and then compare the prices.
If you are looking for a top-notch program, consider Final Draft; it’s a great tool to create your stories and easily manage your characters and scenes.
Otherwise, if you are getting started and simply want to get your feet wet, just download Trelby. You don’t lose anything because this is the best free screenwriting software! Besides, you can install Trelby on multiple platforms. Although, it can sometimes be a bit clunky compared to its paid counterparts.