Last Updated on May 25, 2023 by Jordan Alexo
Starting is easy, but keeping a blog running in the long term is where the challenge lies.
Did you know 80% of new blogs fail within the first 18 months?
So if you don’t want to be part of that statistics, you must learn the art of crafting compelling blog posts and work ethic for your blog to succeed.
In this guide, you’ll discover seven strategies to improve your blog writing skills in the next 30 days.
This includes tips on developing a consistent writing routine, how to do effective research, and even ways of creating catchy headlines that grab your reader’s attention and entice them to read.
Everything you need to know to start your blogging journey on the right foot and keep it going strong.
- Making a website more visible on Google is essential for online businesses to generate traffic, increase credibility and create a better user experience.
- Seven ways to make websites more visible include conducting an SEO audit, improving loading speed, optimizing for mobile devices, mountains of content, keyword relevancy and competition, quality backlinks, and leveraging social media.
- To increase the chances of ranking higher on search engine results, sites should focus on one niche, target low-competition keywords, and create content that answers people’s queries.
- Additionally, it is essential to have a fast-loading site with responsive design, optimized images, and caching plugins, build quality backlinks, and utilize social media platforms.
What Makes a Good Blog Writer?
First things first, before you start writing non-stop for months and years. You must understand four essential factors which make a good blog writer.
1 – Understanding Your Audience
To be a good blog writer, you must know your audience inside and out. What are their needs, interests, fears, and aspirations? Understanding your audience will help you create informative, engaging, and valuable content. You should spend time researching your niche and learning as much as possible.
Not only will this help you better understand your audience, but it will also help you write better and faster content. Once you have a clear understanding
2 – Finding Your Voice
Your blog should reflect your personality and style. This is where finding your voice comes in. A strong voice is authentic, unique, and relatable. It helps you connect with your audience and build trust with them.
3 – Consistency
The success of a blog depends on consistency. It’s crucial to publish regular, quality content to keep your readers engaged and coming back for more. Consistency also helps to build your authority and reputation in your niche.
4 – Understanding SEO
Being a good blogger isn’t all about writing awesome content. You don’t need only to satisfy your audience but Google and other search engines. For this reason, you must learn the basics of SEO (Search Engine Optimization).
7 Strategies To Become a Better Blog Writer In 30 Days
So now that you have a basic understanding of why you should improve your writing skills. Let’s look at what you should do in the next 30 days.
1 – Improve Your Introductions
A strong introduction is crucial to capturing readers’ attention and making them want to read the rest of your post.
For this reason, a quick way to become a better blog writer is to focus on improving your introductions.
You have several options to make your introduction impactful, such as:
- Using Surprising Statistics or Facts: Start your post with a statistic or fact that will grab your reader’s attention and make them curious to learn more. For example: “Did you know that over 90% of businesses fial within their first year?”
- Asking a Question: Engage your audience by asking a thought-provoking question related to your blog post topic. For example: “Have you ever wondered why some blogs become successful while others struggle to get any traction.”
- Telling a Story: Entice your readers by sharing a personal anecdote or story related to your post’s topic. For example: “I remember the first time I tried to start a blog. I was so excited to share my ideas with the world, but I quickly realized that creating great contant was only part of the equation.”
Also, your introduction should clearly explain your post and what your readers will understand by reading it.
A good way to do this is by including, “In this post, you will learn…” after your opening statement.
2 – Write At Least Twice Or Three Times
If you want your site to grow any time soon, you need to pump content. You can’t expect writing one post every few weeks to cut it. One of the key components of building a site is consistent content creation.
You should aim and build the habit of writing at least twice or three times a week if you can write more, even better!
But it’s a good practice to start with less and scale up your content production over time. Also, committing to a regular writing schedule where you write, whether raining or shining, will help improve your writing skills and reduce writer’s block.
You need to stick to the schedule. See, blogging can be extremely frustrating. You should expect several months of constant work without seeing much traffic or results.
In fact, I wouldn’t even be worried about checking your Google analytics in the early stages – that may just add more stress and demotivate you.
3 – Keep Working No Matter What
Most new bloggers don’t stand the test of time. After a few months, they often give up because they don’t see the desired results. But remember, “Rome wasn’t built in a day.”
Anything worth doing takes time, patience, and effort. You should expect to see results with your blog between six to twelve months after you start posting consistently.
Also, this depends on your niche and how competitive it is. But if you begin your blog with the mindset that you are in it for the long haul and keep pushing through the tough times, you will see results eventually.
Here are a few tips to help you stay motivated:
- Set Realistic Goals: My first goal with JordanAlexo.com was to publish ten posts in the first 30 days. After that, to obtain 15 guest posts, my goal is to achieve 200 blog posts within the next three months.
- Celebrate Small Wins: Whenever you reach a milestone, no matter how small it is, take the time to celebrate it. This may be just getting your first ten posts out there, seeing a slight increase in organic traffic, etc.
- Taking a Break: Life isn’t constantly about hustling and grinding. Some days, your real life may get in the way, or you may just need a mental break. You may take a day off to play guitar or even go on a trip.
- Don’t Stress About Your Analytics: I mentioned this earlier, but it’s worth repeating. You shouldn’t get caught up in constantly checking your analytics for progress, especially in the early stages of blogging. Once a week is more than enough.
Don’t expect immediate results. Just keep publishing new content, and eventually, you’ll reap the rewards of your efforts.
4 – Learn More About SEO
You don’t need to become an SEO expert to have a successful blog. However, having a basic understanding of search engine optimization can greatly benefit your blog’s traffic and visibility.
SEO is essential because it helps you understand how Google and other search engines rank websites and content.
You want to create your content in a way that makes it easy for search engines to understand what your blog post is about and, in turn, rank higher in search results.
But at the same time, your content should also be written for readers, not just search engines.
Here are a few tips to help you get started with SEO:
- Start with Keyword Research: You want to use tools like Google Keyword Planner, Ahrefs, Semrush, or Moz to find relevant search terms. Also, make sure these keywords aren’t too competitive so you have a chance of ranking for them.
- Optimize Your Content: Once you’ve identified your keywords, make sure to include them in strategic locations such as the title, first paragraph, subheadings, and throughout the body of your post.
- Focus on Quality Content: Your blog post needs to reply to the search query that led someone to click on your post. Also, it needs to be informational, engaging, and helpful to your readers.
If you’d like to learn more about writing an SEO-friendly post, read here. Furthermore, you can take inexpensive online courses at Udemy or even find excellent video tutorials on YouTube about SEO.
5 – Have Efficient Post Templates
One of the best ways to speed up your content creation is to have efficient post templates. You’ll notice product reviews, comparison posts, and listicles follow similar formats.
I often only copy and paste my review templates and edit the headings and subheadings to fit the product being reviewed. Sometimes, I may include a specific line or two related to the product if needed.
But having a basic template saves me a lot of time and ensures my posts have a consistent structure.
I don’t need to wonder what headings to include, etc.
However, how-to posts, personal stories, and opinion pieces may require a more flexible template to accommodate the unique aspects of each post.
Here are some popular post templates:
- What Is the Product?
- Key Features and Benefits
- Pros and Cons
- Brief Explanation Of Each Product
- Feature Comparison
- Pros and Cons Of Each Product
- Pricing Comparison
- Numbered or bullet point list of items
- Brief description of each item on the list
- Conclusion or summary of the list items
In your first month of blogging, setting up efficient post templates is important. This gives you a clear structure to follow and helps you save time in the long run.
6 – Use AI Tools
You should consider using AI tools to make your blogging journey easier and more efficient. These tools can help you with everything from generating post ideas to optimizing your content for SEO.
Here are my favorite AI tools for bloggers:
- Grammarly: A helpful tool that checks your writing for grammar and spelling errors, ensuring your posts are mistake-free. It helps you immediately improve your writing quality even if you are not fluent in English.
- NeuronWriter: This new AI SEO tool is fantastic! It helps you optimize your content for search engines by analyzing the competition and suggesting keywords.
- Jasper AI: If you struggle with writer’s block, Jasper AI is a great tool to consider. This AI writer helps you generate ideas and even creates content based on your specifications.
- Semrush: I like to use this tool to help me with keyword research and analyze my website’s performance.
Now you don’t need to get all these tools in your first month. But it’s worth considering which tools will benefit you the most and investing in them.
Also, it helps you with mental fatigue. The fact is writing one post won’t burn you out, but after writing multiple posts, it’s easy to feel exhausted.
And a blog needs a constant supply of fresh content. For this reason, AI tools can be a lifesaver for a blogger, helping you with grammar, SEO, content writing, etc.
7 – Constantly Refine (Kaizen)
Apply the “kaizen” principle to your blogging journey. In other words, constantly look for ways to improve and refine your approach.
For instance, if you spend six months writing content and your organic traffic is growing less than you’d like, start analyzing your content and see where you can improve. Ask yourself:
- Am I targeting too competitive keywords?
- Is my bounce rate high?
- Are my titles and headlines compelling enough?
Constantly try to make small adjustments to your approach and test them out.
Also, here are a few other aspects you should consider:
- Improve Your SEO: Keep learning more and more about optimizing your content for SEO.
- Learn From Other Successful Bloggers: Take time to see how they structure their posts, use visuals, what introductions and conclusions they use, and how they engage their audience.
- Taking Blogging Online Courses: Often, people are reluctant to invest money in a course. However, a good course can change your financial life by teaching you new and effective strategies to improve your blog. See the available courses and check the mentor’s credibility and results before enrolling.
So constantly be on the lookout for areas of improvement.
If you have a kaizen mentality of always striving to better your blog, you’ll be on the right track to growing your audience and succeeding.
My idea has always been:
“If you never give up and keep improving, success is inevitable.”
Now you know seven ways to improve your blog writing in the next 30 days. Using AI tools to help with grammar, SEO, and content writing can be a lifesaver for bloggers who need fresh content.
Also, remember to constantly refine your approach by applying the Kaizen principle and making small adjustments to your strategy and needed.
And don’t forget to keep learning from other successful bloggers and invest in online courses that can provide valuable insights and strategies.
If you have any questions, make sure to leave them below. Happy blogging!